The 45N-2, composed of wood and carbon fiber composite material, is designed to be both light and durable while retaining the aesthetics of hand craftsmanship.
The 45N-2 comes in teak, see photographs for the appearance of teak; it is sealed so that the warm look of teak does not weather over time.
This camera weighs only 1550 grams. The 45N-2 reflects Chamonix's experience in building the 45N-1, which was replaced by the 45N-2 in 2011. Its graceful appearance is matched by the resilience of its carbon fiber components.
Less frequently used view camera movements are omitted to ensure the slimmest, lightest build possible. While not perfect for every task, the 45N-2 is readily portable and is easy to operate.
The design of the 45N-2 structure overcomes some limitations found in most wooden view cameras. For example, the screw-focus mechanism and stainless-steel focus track make the camera much more accurate and durable than traditional models. Moreover, the front standard can be detached so that, with the extension accessory, the bellows can be extended freely like a monorail view camera. This is especially useful for lenses of long focal length and outdoor macro photography.
The 45N-2 is designed to be compatible with any lens board of the Linhof type. Chamonix also manufactures its own lens boards which are Linhof compatible. These are made not of aluminum alloy, but carbon fiber, which provides higher durability at only 2/3 of the weight. We suggest that Chamonix users choose carbon fiber boards with the 045N-2 to bring out its best in both performance and appearance.
The 45N-2 comes finished in gray metal only and it comes with a universal bellows in either black or red.
The features of the 45N-2 which are major improvements over the 45N-1:
1) The middle bed sliding mechanism has been changed from sliding track to ball bearing track and the focus adjusting rod has been changed to smaller diameter stainless steel. This increases rigidity of the camera and the accuracy and ease of focusing. It has a nicer feel too.
2) Tracks have been added to rear group sliding mechanism to further increase the accuracy and ease of focusing.
3) The swing of the rear standard has been re-designed to make the swing easier to use.
4) The bellows locking tabs on the front standard have been improved to avoid any rubbing of bellows when the camera is folded.
5) The Fresnel lens is now installed on top of ground glass to prevent possible focus shift.
6) The 45N-2 is supplied with the universal bellows which has a tapered front for using short-focal length wide-angle lenses.
Price: $980 plus $65 EMS shipping or $90 FedEx shipping.